Having a baby can be the most exciting, as well as the most stressful, time in people’s lives. The more prepared for the new arrival, the less time you need to focus on the logistics of the rest of life, the more time you have for what is important – nurturing and caring for your child(ren).
Here Comes Baby! The Survival Guide for the Transition to Parenthood guides the expecting and/or new family member through the essentials for preparing and surviving the first six to sixteen weeks with a newborn. Full of checklists, worksheets, and sample child care contracts, this book will ensure you have discussed, purchased, and planned your way to parenthood. Author Michelle S. Brenner guides you through the following, chapter by chapter:
Help make the journey through parenthood as joyful as possible by being prepared. Here Comes Baby! will guide you through the processes and tools, provide you with checklists, and remind you to focus on your new child and the recovering mother. This is a precious time; you’ll want to enjoy it in the best way you can!
- The Expedition Begins: encourages the participation of both parents in the journey. Communication is a key element throughout the entire expedition; discuss each others needs and feelings, talk about each parents childhood experiences, and the fun begins – start thinking of names for the baby!
- Financing the Expedition: ensures you have a clear understanding of your insurance, medical and “gear” costs, financial implications of living on one salary (if this is a change from your current situation), and cost of child care.
- Selecting Your Gear: a thorough description of all the “gear” required for the care and feeding of your newborn. This chapter includes thorough lists and descriptions, as well as a discussion of various places to buy the items.
- Preparing for Life After Birth: from the birth experience to recovery, this chapter includes lists of things to bring to the hospital, issues and options during delivery, and what to expect (and what not to do) during recovery.
- Setting Up Camp: settling into your new life with baby can be an overwhelming experience. This chapter helps you organize your routines, your diaper bag, and your schedule as what was once a quick trip to the store becomes a new adventure.
- Exploring Child Care: there are many options in child care. This chapter helps you sort out the options, determine the best fit, and includes sample worksheets around the employment agreement and household information.
- Consulting with Dr. Carole: this chapter is full of helpful pediatric advice on what to expect and what you may experience in the first few weeks of your child’s birth. Advice includes how to choose your baby’s doctor, survival tips, babies and crying, jaundice, and baby rash.
- Destination Family: This chapter addresses the changes from a couple to a family - how to develop a parenting philosophy and family mission, ensuring strength in the relationship, and the importance of rekindling the romance.